Saturday, April 11, 2009

He is here....

Shivers I shivered for hours and hours. Back track a little remember the nurse at the beginning I asked Melissa at shift change if she could please get me a nurse like her and not like the intense voiced lady. She laughed she knew what I was talking about. So at 7am we got a nice girl Serena. She was in training but nice and sweet perfect. Evening 6pmish: Now we were getting to the point of Pitocin the drip. I was a little scared because I knew this meant I was going to start having pains which would mean I would have to push a baby out and I had a headache and I was strapped down with monitors ohhhh this was not going to be fun. OK Ready lets go!

So 7pm shift change again. We mention to Serina to get us a good nurse… not like the crazy voice lady I had made fun of earlier. She said the one I got is good…. She leaves guess who walks in Audrey. Ohhhh you are still here. Scott and Kate look at each other and try not to laugh then they realize my fears are real she is crazy annoying!!!! And the worst part she has to stay in the room because the drip has started this could be a painful long night! When she leaves we talk about how we can get rid of her I can’t figure out any way we are stuck. The contractions have now started they are mild like period cramps I can do this easily. They have already said because it is my 3rd birth and having the high blood pressure I can get an epidural any time. I am not ready for a tap in my back just yet.

Around 8pm my midwife Kat comes she has a chat and checks me I am fully effaced and 1 cm. She is going off shift and Janice is coming on. She says you won’t have this baby by 10pm so I am going to go I will let Janice know how you are doing. The contractions were mild lasting maybe 30sec all over the place 5min… 10 min. The funny thing is the contraction monitor won’t pick up my contractions. So I feel like I am faking it. Or they are not really strong enough to register which means I am going to be a huge wimp when the real ones come. I was wondering if this was going to go on all night. I would say just around 9ish The contractions started to come one on top of another just slamming into me I started to ask for the epidural then I started to demand it! The OB , Dr. Reimer, came in she checked me I was 2cm she decided to break my water I said noooooo!. I knew it would get worse if she did. She breaks it. Then I am begging will all my worth to please get the epi now right now!!!! She checks me again 5 min later I am 5cm she leaves the room I am happy she is finally getting me the epi but then I feel that heavy feeling like the baby is coming. I tell nurse Audrey she said no not yet then I said I have to pushhhh Audrey said don’t not yet you are not dilated. I said I can’t stop I have to pooo…. fine I will poo on the bed! And out came the little man … no doctor, no pediatrician just a nurse Kate and Scott…. 9:27 from 2cm to out on the table in 30min! I guess my body saved its own life. One of the side effects from pre-e is placenta abruption where the placenta comes away from the wall which is what happened they realized when she broke my water and blood gushed out so when she left she was going to book an OR for an emergency c-section…. but my cervix decided it would open the flood gates. Scott went out to tell the doctor I was pushing he was being polite excuse me doctor then he heard the nurse on the intercom ran back in the room just in time to see Liam emerge. He was brought onto my yummy rubbed with towels and screamed right away. The pediatrician checked him and Scott got to hold him for a bit before they brought him into the intermediate care.

The contraction monitor never did pick up my contractions… Nurse Audrey ended up being perfect at catching our baby…. Scott describes it as my other labours in super fast forward.

I has to stay in labour and delivery for 24 hrs because I was on the Magnesium Sulfate and the risk of having seziers is really high 24hrs after a pre-e birth. It was great listening to woman have babies while laying recover from you own. Serina became my nurse again at 7am. She quickly apologized she said she realized as soon as she passed the file to Audrey what I was talking about but at that point it was to late she even asked the charge nurse to change it but she said it couldn’t be changed.

Email from Kate describing the birth: he was born after around 2 hours of real labour and approximately 1 minute of pushing. Poor Morag started regular contractions at 7:30 and by 8:30 she was only at 1 cm and the contractions were constant and didn’t seem to have much time between them. When the OB came in at 9, Morag was begging for an epidural and beside herself, when the OB checked she was at 2.5 cm, then she quickly broke Morag’s water which was bloody and indicated a placental abruption. The OB and nurse were then worried, but poor Morag wasn’t able to concentrate on anything but her crazy contractions. She gave Morag another internal around 5 minutes after the first one she had given and found that she was at 5cm. So now the OB is running out of the room to make a phone call, and Morag starts pushing (against the advice of everyone in the room) and by the time Scott gets back in the room from yelling at the OB to come back a wee skinny blue crying thing was on Morag’s tummy. It was thrilling and awesome and he was perfect just small. No name from when I left last night. I’m sure we’ll find out soon. Oh and Morag needs food for her freezer!

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment