Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 6

Today was officially the crappiest day yet!

Please don't read unless you want to hear me whine. Liam is fine..... I just had a crap ass day.

Last night Liam was transfered to a closer hospital Burnaby its just a 5 min drive from my house! Well as I have learned in the last few weeks all nurses believe something different and in this case it was insanely different. As soon as I arrived she told me they might have to put a feeding tube in because he might not be able to bottle feed. I assured her that he was bottling fine and it shouldn't be a problem then she went off about how Childrens hospital over uses bottles and it exhausts the little guys and how breast feeding is not as hard as bottles (completely the opposite of all other opinions to date!) So I got her to promise to try really hard to not put a feeding tube in. I when home devastated...

This morning I had an even worse nurse who wouldn't help me do anything and was out right rude. I was in tears over and over again trying to deal with her. She said he only would take 25 mls / feed last night when yesterday at Childrens he was taking 50ml a feed a big difference. She also said if he wasn't taking at least 35 he would have to have a feeding tube. The worst part is she wouldn't listen or help me in any way. Until I pleaded with the other nurses in front of her to please switch finally one did! Then it came out they thought he was born at 32 weeks!!! WTF. She had a hard time believing me he was 34 weeks. But this nurse listened to me and helped me feed him effectively and gave me a clam feeling. So I left him in her care requesting neither of the previous nurses care for him. Tonight I called he had taken 35ml all day by bottle and at his last feed 45ml. There are more parts to the story but I am so tired I can't go into them all.

Some quick points -parking was $3/hr todays visit $15 We can't afford that daily. Thankfully when I was crying to the head nurse (another long story) she told me I could get a weeks pass for much cheeper even though mean nurse from last night said there was no discounts.
- They had no bottles to pump into (they supply these)
-The food is crap at this hospital
-no internet
-The stupid nurse closed the bottle to tight so I was feeding him for 10 min and he couldn't get anything out( I think she did it on purpose)
- I lost Keiran when I went to pick up Makayla from school and bawled my eyes out in front of a lot of parents. It was humiliating and scary.

OHHHHHH But Liam gained today 35 grams lol thats funny to get excited about.

2 comments:

  1. Grrr, Great nurses are awesome, but the shitty nurses make us forget about the good ones! I hate nasty nurses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally thinking about you, wondering how things were going....I think I caught your frustration vibe....All I can say is lame lame lame and I glad you made a complaint and don't doubt yourself...Liam is your baby and you know wassup more than any grouchy nurse. You hang in there trooper, Liam will be home before you know it!

    ReplyDelete